Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ohlone Wilderness 50K Trail Run

Christy and I went to Del Valle Regional Park this morning to see a few of my favorite ultra-runners cross the finish line of the Ohlone Wilderness 50K Trail Run.

The final four miles of this run are downhill. My plan was to get there early enough so we could go out at least those four miles and then run back, getting in a good (steep and hot) trail run before our 25K Saturday. I expected the first of my friends to come in around 2:30. We did get there early enough (started at 11:00) and my first friend came in at 2:38. Our running portion of the plan however, didn't go so smoothly.

We parked, gathered our hydration packs, applied sun screen, and headed over to the finish line area. From there, we started our Garmins and headed on up the road. And up, and up we went. It soon became a very overgrown, extremely steep single track trail. I knew it was going to be steep but I was really surprised how steep it was. In less than 3/4 mile, we had climbed 1,000 feet! That's really STEEP. Then we hit a fence. Uh-oh. Back down we went. Back down to the finish line area. This time I asked someone where the runners come in from. He pointed in the opposite direction. DOH! Okay, well that was a nice little two mile warm-up. Sheesh.


We, once again, headed up the road. The right direction this time. We had some very pretty views. Neither of us had been here before so we were enjoying all the new scenery.

Now we were heading up the four miles we originally had planned on going up. We continued up the road, that looked like this, for about a mile.

Why only a mile? Because we spotted this:

Fire road or single track? Hmmmmm. That's a no-brainer! Why would I stay on a fire road when I can run on single tracks and experience the shaded beauty they offer?




We did eventually get to the end of the beautiful single track trail and had to turn around and go back to the fire road.
Below is the road we came up.

But all was not bad because we saw Catra coming down the road at this point. She and I were able to catch up on our lives a little bit and then we ran in with her. She was finishing up 100 miles that she had started almost 34 hours earlier.

After that, we had some food and continued to watch the other runners come through. I was surprised to see Rick (365me) there. He was volunteering at an aid station and had driven to the finish line. I saw Kathy Davies come in at 6:38 and Sue Corrie at 6:51. They totally smoked the course. They both said it was the run of their lives. Woohoo! Then I saw my girl, Victoria (flirty 'n dirty) coming down the road. Christy and I cheered our heads off as she ran across the finish line in 7:15. Good job girlies!!! Congratulations to all the runners that completed this very challenging 50K today.
Victoria

It was hard to believe, after all the time Christy and I spent out there, we had only run six miles. But, we had a great time regardless. (We always do!!) I had my ankle taped up. It felt good. Actually wasn't an issue at all. I did go back to wearing my Montrail Hardrocks because they are more stiff than my XT-Wings. I think I need that right now. I am icing tonight, just because the ankle can tell it did a lot of pounding today. It's not swollen or anything.
I hope everyone did well in their races this weekend. I know there was a lot going on. I'm anxious to read the reports.
Until later.............

15 comments:

Looney said...

Catra is amazing. That start out from Del Valle on a hot summer day is one of the hardest.

Southbaygirl said...

first of all...you started running in the afternoon? Are you nuts woman?? the sun is out in the middle of the afternoon. And it looks like you don't have the June Gloom we have!

It looks like you guys had a blast! I can't imagine running 100 miles-34 hours??? I wouldn't have the time!

I'll let you know about the PCTR race next weekend.

Unknown said...

Great photos, as always!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a steep, fun adventure with a mission.

Marcy said...

*sigh* you really are so lucky! Always surrounded by nice scenery and very cool Bloggers :-)

René said...

Incredible runners! It sounds like you almost had to do some mountain climbing there.

Victoria said...

Again, thanks SOOOOO much for coming out yesterday! It was great to see you, and I will get my race report up soon-- need to actually work today though-- how crazy is that?

Um, and apparently I'm the lamest person in the world because I was super-busy this week and read no blogs-- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Marlene said...

Definitely sounds like a fun weekend. But holy crap, Catra looks that good after 100 miles/34 hours?!

Aka Alice said...

1000 ft in 3/4 mile...YIKES! Glad your ankle is feeling better.

Beautiful trails and pix!

MJ said...

I need to find some trails like that.... so peaceful compared to the city runnin' I tend to do.

Rick Gaston said...

Nice on the impromptu hill workout. Guess what I have in front of me, a big, cold, fat bar of Ghirardelli chocolate. I'd share if you were just next door. I was surprised to see you too. Such a good day to catch up with friends and hangout. Finally got to meet your trail bud Christy. Till next time.

Missy said...

Is it just me but are you and Catra related? Holy crap - it's like looking at the pierced tatooED version of you...with pink/red hair, of course. Holy crap, I can NOT imagine running for 34 hours.

Yay, you're ankle is getting better. I'm just amazed at how long it actually takes.

RunnerDude said...

Wow! What a workout you guys had! At least it was scenic! Those pictures are great!

Aron said...

amazing pics and wow 100 miles and 34 hours, incredible.

RBR said...

I am about to SPAM the hell out of your inbox. I am so very behind, so we will pretend that these comments are timely...

So glad your ankle is back in running shape even if it had to be taped.

Ooh! A rhyme!