Monday, May 4, 2009

One surprise after another

If you paid close attention to a few posts back, you would have known I was looking forward to a trail run with Christy Sunday morning. What? You don't remember? Humph! Well, to my surprise, HSE Lori asked if she and her little Mikey could join us. So we all went to Garin. Very happy to hear from her and Boomer was thrilled to have someone to play chase with. We took this photo before Christy turned around. She ran the day before and only wanted to run five miles.

It was raining, off and on. Since I had been on the coast all day Saturday, it didn't even occur to me that it had been raining over here in the east bay hills. Surprise! It did, and there was a LOT of mud. Here is my shoe:

And Lori's:

Lori and I were planning on running 8-10 miles. This route would have taken us off the muddy fire road and into some nice covered single track trails. Perfect. At the 3.75 mile mark, she asked me about a message I had received on my phone earlier. At this point I reached in my pocket to check it. Surprise! My phone wasn't there. Crap! This meant we had to backtrack on the same muddy fire road we just came up so we could try and find it. I thought for sure it was going to be in the deep wet grass and ruined. We got back to the picnic table where we had taken the photo and there it was, right where I dropped it. Thank God the grass wasn't too deep. My phone lives on. Lori and I got in a little over seven miles. Better than nothing.

Then, I got off work today at 3:30 and it's overcast but warm (72 degrees) so I called my husband and asked if he would like to go for a hike. Surprise! He said yes. ;)
Garin is beautiful in the late afternoon:


I thought this guy looked very unique. I wanted to kiss him but he didn't have that loving feeling look in his eyes, so I decided against it.

A little bit later, Keith and I are rounding a corner and I was talking about a previous time I was here and saw some bunny rabbits. I told him I had to get Boomer's attention quickly so he didn't see them and try to catch one. Right about then Keith says, "whoa, stop!" I thought he saw a bunny rabbit. Surprise!!! This is what he saw:

That ain't no bunny rabbit! It's the biggest snake I have ever seen. He was FAT!
Thanks honey, you saved me and Boomer from the big fat snake.


If you enlarge this photo, you can see Mission Peak on the far left side, that little tiny point. Santa Cruz mountains in the distance.

And this photo enlarged will show you the beautiful San Francisco skyline.

Boy, I really do love where I live.
I'm scheduled to work every day except Wednesday this week so I'll be squeezing in a run whenever I can. I may have to be happy with little 3-5 milers.
Until later.............

7 comments:

Missy said...

You know, I'm having to live with 3-5 milers too and it's not bad. It's a nice change of pace ... for now, anyway.

Great pix. I would have been screaming like a little girl with my hands up in the air if I saw that snake. Maybe I'm not cut out for the trail:(?

Unknown said...

That snake looks cool. I wonder what kind it is.

With all that mud - it's great that you found your phone!

RunningLaur said...

all kinds of surprises!

It must be like having ankle weights when you're running with that much mud on your feet - impressive!

René said...

Glad you found your phone. With all this rain, all I can think about is how AWESOME the wildflowers are going to be.

Marci said...

Shorter distances are a nice switch and can keep you running,IMO. Love the pics, thanks for sharing!

Marcy said...

No joke! Dang how the heck could you even run in that? It's like mud pies on your feet LOL

Southbaygirl said...

I HATE snakes! They completely freak me out!!!! I haven't seen any running trails yet-scares me!!!

I do 3 milers everyday before work.....