Sunday, December 21, 2008

Pancakes & Puppies

My weekend started off Saturday morning with a great five mile run with Christy & Boomer out on the Alameda Creek Trail. Boomer wore his jingle bell collar and Christy and I were sporting our beanies and gloves. It was an absolutely beautiful, clear morning but only in the mid 30's.

After our run, we went over to my friend Kirstin's house for a very delicious pancake breakfast. It was a fundraiser Kirstin was doing because she's leaving for Africa on January 8th to do a four month internship for teaching. She made me chocolate chip pancakes and Christy had banana-walnut pancakes. They sure tasted yummy after the run. Kirstin's family has a Catahoula Leopard Dog, just like Boomer but bigger. Boomer's mixed with some kind of terrior we think, so he's about half the size of Fancy. It's amazing how much they look alike though.

After Christy and I scarfed down our pancakes, I had to get home to get ready for work. I had to work noon to 8:30. After work, Sara and I drove up to Citrus Heights so she could pick up her puppy which had just arrived from Arkansas! Her name is Bella, she's three months old. Her foster mommy says she's German Shepherd mix. Her siblings were the typical German Shepherd colors, Bella's the only solid black one. She is such a little sweetheart. This is Sara's first dog. She came over today so Boomer could meet her. I think Sara's just a little overwhelmed. She is a nanny five days a week and she says taking care of babies/kids is A LOT easier than a puppy. Babies wear diapers on their butts and they can't move unless you pick them up and carry them. Once you put them down, they stay put - you don't have to chase them around. And kids, well, they don't move as fast as a puppy can so you can catch them quicker. I know she'll adjust though. I can see how much she already loves Bella.


This morning, while I was having my first cup of coffee, my next door neighbor Jerry and his daughter Savanna came over with a puppy too! Her name is Sophie and she is three or four months old.
Jerry had to put his 14 year old Australian Shepherd, Mariah, to sleep last month. Mariah was my very first running partner. Sophie's foster mommy said she is Australian Cattle Dog mix. She and Boomer wrestled for quite a while. I think she wore Boomer out. It was sure fun having these little girls in the house today.
At least Boomer got some exercise with Bella & Sophie. I was too tired to go for a run this morning and it's cold and raining anyway. I think my Wii and I have a date tomorrow morning. Supposed to rain through Christmas.

Until later.............

6 comments:

Victoria said...

So cute puppies! The weather on Saturday was amazing, wasn't it? Thanks for the compliment-- I think I ended up running faster because I went out slower this time. Little by little, I'm learning how not go out like an idiot and pay for it the rest of the race.

Rick Gaston said...

Last night at dinner party we had two doggies in the house. Mr. Chane E. Pants who is a hound and Ms. Belcha who is a scrappy French Bulldog. When it was time to go home, Belcha had her very own yellow raincoat which of course made me think of your Boomer.

Missy said...

I love the pups, it looks like a party to me. Oh, pancakes and bacon after a ride or run....perrrfect!

Catra said...

Just wanted to stop by and wish you a happy holidays. Rocky wanted me to say hi to Boomer from him.
I love Boomers rain slicker Rocky has one too. Yeah, we love our little guys.
XOXO,
Catra

Southbaygirl said...

Oh yeah she's an Australian cattle Dog mix!!! Look at those spots! Put away everything for it will all be shredded soon!!!

It is definitely a puppy post! How exciting!!

Southbaygirl said...

Jo Lynn, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!! Happy Holidays!

penny