Sunday, January 2, 2011

Here I go again

I am not one for "resolutions".  I don't believe you have to wait for the calendar to change to make changes in your life. 

With that being said, I am picking up where I (sort of) left off a few months ago. 

I am continuing my commitment to MOVE EVERY DAY in 2011.   For those of you that don't know, it means I vow to move every day for at least 30 minutes. 

It can be walking, running, a class at the gym, a machine at the gym, cycling, a Crossfit WOD, a hike, skiing, backpacking, golf, bowling.  I think you get it.  Anything that gets me up and moving for at least 30 minutes every single day.

I was able to do this last year, up to (and including) the day of my surgery - October 1st.  The first few days after my surgery, naturally, it was a bit more difficult.  But you know what?  Eight days later, I walked around the block.  Three days after my surgery, I was using a friend's Total Gym in my garage to do upper body workouts.  I was doing push-ups, sit-ups and planks on my living room floor.  I got creative and did whatever I could to move my body. 

All the while, knowing I had an excellent excuse not to.

I'm not sure if I'm going to have my other foot operated on this year or not but I'm not going to let that stop me now.  I can only take one day at a time.

Do any of you think this is something you can do?  Can you commit to doing something, ANYTHING for 30 minutes a day this year?  I will do it alone if I have to, but it would sure be nice to have some company this year.  Come on and join me, you won't regret it.  ;)


"MED2011" Accountability:
01/01 - 2 mile walk, 1.65 mile walk
01/02 - 1 mile run, "Boot Camp" class at the gym, 1 mile walk



Until later.............

18 comments:

The Green Girl said...

Wow, that's quite the non-resolution!

Good luck!

Unknown said...

maybe. the problem i have isn't in the concept, but in my tracking system (where some of those things clearly don't count in my normal tracking system, but would in the MED system).

Mel-2nd Chances said...

You will rock 2011, JoLynn! By the way, loved the pics from your previous post too.... missing the view of the ocean, the GG bridge, you and Boomer!

Ewa said...

I am not big on resolutions either but I like yours. It should not be only a New Year but the rest of the life resolution.
And yes, I would love to get together one of these days and hit the trails.

Kris said...

You know me....I move most days. My dog makes me. ;)

Aron said...

Awesome!!! I love your MED, I really should try it just to get me out and about on my rest days :)

Lily on the Road said...

Thanks for the inspiration...30 minutes per day! Now that's doable.

Happy New Year to you and yours JoLynn!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

If you are moving it means you are alive, right? And that's a good thing..
Happy New Year!

A Prelude To... said...

I like your move every day plan. Even on a "rest" day, I need to do something - a leisurely swim or a long walk - something to keep me in the right frame of mind. It seems that one day completely off usually leads to at least one more day off with me.

Glenn Jones said...

I liked following MED2010. Looking forward to another year of it!

Runners Fuel said...

I'm a non-resolution kind pf person, too. I have goals, but I had them for this year last year, too. Looks good!

trailmomma said...

Goodluck. I think that is the best idea! You'll do great! I hope you have a wonderful 2011.

trailturtle said...

I LOVE your concept of and commitment to MED every year! Good luck, and...hope to be able to "move with you" sometime this year :). BTW, thanks, in part to your blog, I started my own on 1/1/11--Happy New Year! Ann

Unknown said...

Love this! My sister has embraced the same 'commitment."

As soon as I get this boot off my foot and am 'released' I'll be right there with you!

Good luck

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I think at this point in my life daily exercise is a requirment more than an option. So I'd say I am in. I don't track my other "workouts" the way I track running. I used to write down everything and count my steps each day but I sort of got away from it.
Thanks for being a great example of being active everyday...no excuse!

Unknown said...

I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RunningLaur said...

I. am. doing. it.
Happy 2011!!
So far 4/4 :)

Anonymous said...

Alright I think I shall join you! Although I am not very goo in keeping track of these things. However, I vow to do yoga on my rest days so that would be me moving :)