Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Rest can be good!

I took Sunday and Monday off from any and all exercise. I woke up early on Sunday to get a swim or bike ride in before work. I knew my neighbor, Jerry was taking Boomer to Mission Peak so he was taken care of. My husband offered to make pancakes for breakfast. Suddenly, the thought of a "rest day" sounded pretty darn good. I can't remember the last time I took a day off completely. I had to work at 9:30 on Monday and the pool wasn't going to open until 8:00 so there was no way for me to go swimming. I took Boomer for a nice walk around the neighborhood and that was the extent of my exercise for that day. And yesterday I had to be at work at 8:30 so I waited until after work to do anything. Bella was over so I took the dogs for a two mile walk and then did Pilates here at home (which totally kicked my butt, by the way).

FINALLY, today I was finally able to get back to some exercising. Christy usually works during the week so I was surprised when this morning I received an email from her that proved she was at home. I quickly called her and asked if she wanted to go out to Garin with me. She can send herself home from work if the schedule is light. Boomer and I picked up Bella and we met Christy and her adorable doggie, Emmi. We enjoyed hiking/running one of our favorite five mile loops. Even though Christy and I had the day off, we found a few others that were working quite hard today. These little guys and gals keep the grass short in the park so the danger of a wildfire is lessened.

Christy & Emmi
Like it or not, Fall is coming..........

After coming home and eating lunch, I went to the pool and swam a mile. I am trying hard to be very aware of my form and make sure it is right. I had a lane to myself the entire time. Woot, woot! I found some paddles and strapped them on my hands for a couple hundred yards. When I got out of the water, my arms were shaking. I bet they'll be sore tomorrow. I'm concentrating on keeping my eyes (and head) facing straight down and breathing on both sides. It's nice to get out of the pool and not have lower back pain. Again, I owe Judi for the help on that.

I am happy I am now done with two nights of traffic school, therefore, not getting a point on my driving record for the speeding ticket I got in the winter. It wasn't as boring as I thought it would be. It was literally a block from my house so that was nice. It was just inconvenient is all. The instructor is a retired Fremont cop and his stories were easy to listen to because I could relate to places he referred to. I can also say it was very educational. It's amazing how many laws you can forget after you pass your written driving test.

Tomorrow (Thursday) is Boomer's birthday. He's turning five years old! I will have to think of something extra fun to do with him. Shouldn't be that tough, should it? I'll probably cook something special for him too. ;)

Until later.............


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooray!!!!!!!! Boomer's Birthday!!!!!
Please give him a hug and kiss for me.

Missy said...

Squeeze and smooch that dog for me - they give us so much, I swear!

Yay for rest days. They ARE a must. I look so forward to them and recovery weeks too, ahhhh.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Boomer!!

Rest is good. I've had this discussion with Coach. I think he (and everyone else) is right.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Boomie!!!!

René said...

I love rest day. The energy levels are off the chart after a nice rest or easy day!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

"I'm concentrating on keeping my eyes (and head) facing straight down and breathing on both sides" LOL!! I don't even know how to swim with my face in the water...hehehe...guess that is why I don't Tri..

Rest, oh lovely rest.. Last week it seemed that my Rest day landed on my hubby's "Will you run with me when you get home from work" day... I think I took 1 day off...

RunningLaur said...

Is it wrong to like rest days too much?

Happy Birthday, Boomer! Maybe 5 miles for the 5 year old?

Aron said...

rest days are good :) i try to take one full day off a week and enjoy it! its usually mondays :)

happy birthday boomer!!!

YAYYYY fall! i have been trying to find some changing leaves hehe

Judi said...

quit thanking me! you did all the work! good job!