Friday, June 12, 2009

Not a long one, but a hard one. What?

I'm talking about my run today.

I took the furry kid to Sunol today so we could go up to Mission Peak, the back way. The trail goes through the Ohlone Wilderness. This is the way the Ohlone 50K runners came down from Mission Peak last weekend. It's a much prettier route than Stanford. I'm not sure it's any easier but I really wasn't looking for easier, now was I? It is a bit longer too. And there is some very nice single track. WOOT!



Boomer is quicker than me on the uphills. But then again, who isn't?!

I can't tell you the last time Boomer has been on this trail. I haven't been here since last summer. He hasn't been here for maybe 2.5 or 3 years? However.... he knew around which turn coming up, the drainage pipes were going to be. He spotted every single one. Silly dog!

Here is the back side of Mission Peak. It just looks like a little hill from this side.

And look, they still have cows here! One of the babies actually copped an attitude with Boomer. He fell for it and took off in the other direction. As soon as we hit this section, which is at the base of the summit, the wind from the west was super strong. Made me very happy I came up the way I did.

We finally made it to the top. Here we shared a bag of Clif Blocks before turning around and heading back down.


No Boomer in front of me anymore. He is much slower than me on the downhills. LOL I had to keep waiting for him. I'm not sure if it's the gravel on this section or that he just doesn't like downhill. Or perhaps he's tired by this point.

I love all of the old beautiful trees on this trail. You just don't get this when you go up the front of the mountain.


Tomorrow is a longer run with Theresa and Toni. Yippeeeeeeee!
Until later.............

11 comments:

Looney said...

It has been too long since I went that way. One time I saw a very large wild pig about half way up.

Rick Gaston said...

Boomer doesn't like downhills, that's crazy. Looked like a nice time on the trails. Have fun with Theresa and Toni tomorrow.

Missy said...

Gorgeous shots! Sounds like the ankle is good to go!

RunningLaur said...

Great pictures! Glad you guys could get out for such a wonderful run.

René said...

your pup eats clif blocks? that is so cute!

Unknown said...

Maybe he just isn't ready to come down yet and that's why he's so slow?!?!

TonyP said...

What a great looking run. I need to come out and check out those trails.

chris mcpeake said...

Great pics!!
Looks like some really nice running.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place. By the way, Merlin is just the same. At the beginning he runs like crazy and looks back at me like " is this all you got". And after a while he slows down and I can almost kick his little butt. They need to learn to pace themselves; what do you think???

Mark said...

Looks like a nice place to run!

montisse98 said...

Beautiful pics! I love the one of Boomer on the wooden bridge. And the shot of Boomer and you --- priceless!