Thursday, June 11, 2009

Did I tell you?

I'm signed up for this 50K: Angel Island (Jun 20). Yah, that's a week from Saturday.

With all the other stuff going on, I think I forgot to mention that I have signed myself up. I am taking a victim with me too. (haunted laugh noise) Theresa agreed to keep me company on this run. She, like me, has run one ultra-marathon prior to this one. We are both a little nervous about the 8-hour time limit. The cut-off is 6.5 hours at the 42K (26 mile) mark. I've completed a trail marathon in under six hours (barely) so I have faith we will pull it off. The elevation gain isn't terrible, at 4,070 feet.

I am going to do a long run tomorrow (still deciding where) and on Saturday I will be meeting Theresa and her friend Toni in Oakland. We'll be doing another long run along the Golden Hills Marathon course. Then it's the ever dreaded TAPER! Have I told you how much I despise tapering? Huh, have I? Although, thinking back to Diablo (last Saturday), I did no tapering at all. I had that really bad week prior and ran more than I should have (34 miles) because, well, I had to run to stay from going completely crazy. I must have been very tired going into the Diablo 25K. More tired than I knew.

That's it for now.


Until later.............

14 comments:

Victoria said...

You're going to do great! Have fun with Toni and Theresa this weekend!!

Rick Gaston said...

You'll love Angel Island. So much fun. Great views on a good day. I

Oz Runner said...

sounds like a fun run....and tapering is a necessary evil...your body will thank you for it later...

Mark said...

Great blog, running trails is a new experience for me and I'm lovin' it! Good luck!

Marlene said...

50K - wow!!

Tapering makes me crazy, too.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You will totally rock this one. Elevation really isn't so bad, so I'm sure you would be able to "go for coffee" before cut-off:-)

Judi said...

the 50k cut off time is scary, i agree. will the rd let you start an hour early? that's what i did to avoid that cut off. i think i finished in 8:10 or something.

good luck, have fun, and rest up! embrace the taper! :)

Aron said...

well your taper isnt very long :) so hopefully you wont go too crazy! you will do awesome, cant wait to see how it goes!

an ultra is the next thing on my to do list after a BQ :) so i may need your assistance with that goal after you become the awesome ultra-er this year!

Lauren said...

You'll do great, and I don't think the cut-off will be a problem (and aren't W & S pretty lenient about cut-offs anyway--as long as you look good, I'm sure they'll let you keep going).

I'm actually kind of thinking about doing it myself... ;)

Lauren

RunningLaur said...

Exiting!!!! just think of it as a little baby taper - it's so small you don't need to freak out or anything, right? You'll be great!

RunningLaur said...

oh and you just had the hardest 'comment confirmation word' yet: steststyts. That one's tough!

Missy said...

I DO love race season. I love a taper too, I'm weird like dat.

TonyP said...

That's awesome. I heard it is a great race. Best of luck !

René said...

Wow, good luck and have a great time! I am on a taper too, but I'm ready for one at this point so will try to enjoy it.