Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Life after AI 50K

Thank you to everyone for your nice congratulatory comments about me completing the Angel Island 50K. To clear up some confusion, this was the 2nd 50K I attempted and completed. The first one was in September, 2008 - PCTR Skyline to the Sea.

I was a bit sore when I got up Sunday morning but I knew I would be better off if I didn't lay around all day. After we took Keith to lunch for Father's Day, my step-daughter (Loren) and I went for a three mile hike at Garin. I had to run down the hills (my quads were too sore not to). Climbing up some very small hills felt like a chore. But I was very happy to be out on such a beautiful day. And you know who else was happy about it? This little guy:

Yesterday, Loren and I, along with my neighbor Jana and her two dogs went to Sunol for a four mile hike. This big snake greeted us, about five minutes into our hike:



Izzie cooling off in a water trough
Bella and Boomer aren't into swimming, like Spike and Izzie are. I threw this stick in the pond and they both stood there while Boomer barked at it, trying to will it back to him. You can see the other dogs in the pond, swimming away, if you enlarge the photo.

Last night we took BART up to Oakland to watch the Oakland A's and the SF Giants play some baseball. Giants got beat 5-1. Boooooo! The food at the Oakland Coliseum is nowhere near the caliber of food at AT&T Park in San Francisco. All I had was a chicken burrito. Nothing fried, nothing sweet. Actually, that's a lie. I found some red licorice and enjoyed that. ;)


This morning Boomer and I went for a little 3.25 mile run at Garin. It's finally warming up around here. This just means we have to get on the trail a little earlier when it's cooler.


I have been stretching, rolling, and icing my legs. The outside of my knees were only sore on Sunday. Now it makes me wonder if it is indeed my IT bands or just my knees, in general. Perhaps they were just so sore from the hard pavement on Saturday. I don't know. I will be running more on flat (dirt) trails over the next couple of weeks and see if the pain flares up again. For now though, I can definitely say my legs feel great considering how much they hurt on Saturday.
Until later.............

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad your legs are feeling better. I hope you can figure out what the pain is - so you can get it worked out and avoid it in the future.

RunningLaur said...

I can't believe you miss junkie - you're a running machine!!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

wow, that was your second one, i only found your blog recently, so had no idea. So what's next, 50 miler? :D Happy to hear you're feeling better already, you're awesome! Hope you figure out the pain.

Rick Gaston said...

Oh that was your second finish 50k finish?! I was at Skyline to the Sea in 08! Only time I ran it. We didn't know each other then though.

chris mcpeake said...

Great pics. Glad your legs were not to bad afterwards and you are already on your way to recovery.

Lily on the Road said...

you are a machine! thanks for the pictures and glad to hear you are recovering nicely.

I can't believe that Boomer doesn't swim, what a little character!

Marlene said...

Great to hear you've been recovering well. I know a little activity can do wonders, even when it's temping to just crash for a bit. I hope the knees are back to 100% after some more running on soft terrain.

Aron said...

sounds like you are recovering very well!!! glad to hear it :)

the food at the A's is NOWHERE near as good at Giants :) neither is the stadium. its nice that its closer though!

love the pics as usual :) it is definitely warming up here - ekkk.

Anonymous said...

And already back on the trail...
You are not lying when you say you're a single track junkie - I would still be walking like a snail.

Kristin @ The Southern Summer said...

You always make me want to go to a baseball game! Maybe we will do that this weekend....

Good luck recovering, although you seem to be doing a pretty good job of that already ;)

Judi said...

ice bath! fill the tub with cold water and fill with a few ice cubes. it works!