Friday, June 26, 2009

Can I Rant?

I am having some different type of pain in a totally different part of my knee, that started Wednesday at work. It's on the inner part of my right knee and hurts when I step down on my heel. I worked all day yesterday and was in quite a bit of pain. If I walk on the ball of my foot, it doesn't hurt. Unfortunately, I can't wear high heels to work. Well, I could, but it would be odd to say the least.

Today is the first day of a(nother) big sale at REI. I am scheduled 1-9:30. I've been icing and massaging my knee and I must say this morning it feels a bit better than yesterday. My husband laid the newspaper on the end table this morning for me to read my horoscope. He never does this so I thought it was funny and I read it. My horoscope for today reads, "It's one hassle after another, all day long. Better bolster it up with chocolate and something greasy." Interesting.


As the whole world knows, yesterday Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson passed away. I was saddened by both deaths. Keith and I went to dinner last night and even the waitress said how sad she was about Michael Jackson dying. Hello?! Farrah Fawcett died. She was such a beautiful woman and mother, very courageous and kind-hearted. She was loved by many and will be missed by many more. Granted, people didn't cry at the sight of her and faint at her feet but she was/is an icon none-the-less. I've had my television on for two hours and the entire news has been about Michael Jackson.

It's so sad that Farrah Fawcett's life and death is being put on the back burner. I feel so sad for her family right now. They need love and support too.

Goodbye, beautiful Farrah. You need not suffer any longer. Now you are truly an angel in heaven. Shine brightly, as you once did here on earth.


Until later.............

17 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I'm totally with you... I'm so heart broken about Farrah Fawcett, saw her documentary on tv a few months ago, and cried so much. Sad that the shock of MJ is totally overshadowing Farrah, who suffered so much more.

Good luck with that knee of yours! Have a great weekend.

Mark said...

I had one of her posters one my wall in college! I always admired her and her courageous spirit!
Hope the knee heals up...

montisse98 said...

Ouch. It sounds like you may have strained your MCL. Avoid flexion, as it will place even more strain on the ligament. It seems that you're already doing the right thing by resting, icing, and elevating. NSAIDS like advil and naproxen will also help relieve the pain and inflammation. Hope it gets feeling better soon.

Lily on the Road said...

Look after your knee, it sounds like MCL, be careful, ice, rest and try Traumeel.

As for Farrah, wow, no matter how prepared you are (in light of her illness), you are never ever ready, she had suffered long enough. Maybe this will be the wake up call Redman needs, we can only hope.

Michael was a music legend, no matter how twisted and freaky his life had become. He was a genius and as most genius's go, he was top draw.

We expected Farrah, but who would have thought Michael? Rumour has it, his death is as suspicious as Anna Nicole....

Missy said...

That is NO shit, right there! She had cancer for crying out loud. That's always close to my heart so I'm a little irritated by the whole thing.

Sorry about the knee, that blows. Sounds like there's some good advice here, though.

Unknown said...

Be careful with your knee.

Yesterday was a weird day. I feel bad for Farrah's family too.

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

I hear you! I saw the documentary about Farrah recently, but hadn't even realized she was sick until then. I guess that's part of the reason she's gotten relatively less attention- it was expected and had no mystery about it.

Sorry about your knee troubles. See David's post on our site about his knee troubles. He's making a slow recovery using a knee brace to help stabilize the joint along with ibuprofen and glucosamine/chondroitin and they seem to help a lot. He also finds that the pain is relieved by landing on the ball of the foot rather than the heel. His explanation is that landing on the heel results in more severe pinching of the medial miniscus cartilage due to slight knee hyperextension in turn due to weakness in an injured popliteus muscle a few weeks ago. There's also a link to a knee diagnostic article that may be helpful to you. Don't know exactly what you injured, but the pain sounds like the medial meniscus rather than a ligament, though anything that could cause knee hyperextension could be suspect.

Good luck!

Cynthia

Judi said...

i am with you 100%!!

René said...

Hope the knee gets better, and can someone remind the grim reaper that we've had enough deaths already.

Stuart said...

Hoping the knee feels better soon - remember the old RICE routine!

Aka Alice said...

Injuries suck (I got nothin' other than that to say...I wish I did).

I'm with ya. Maybe it's cuz Farrah seemed to have those who loved her around her when she passed, and she had the ugly C word, which has touched so many of us, and that she tried so effing hard to beat it...but her death has truly saddened me as well.

MJ's death? Meh...

Oz Runner said...

i totally agree with you about farah being overshadowed, my wife and i were having that same discussion...you work at REI? i LOVE that place, well the online store anyway, i've never been to a real one.....good luck with the knee recovery...

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your knee. Better rest up.

RBR said...

I am playing catch up so I wanted to start with a WOO HOO!! Great job on gutting out the 50K, we are some stubborn biathces aren't we? If you weren't so darn fast we could do a 50K together. I bet we could suffer together like no others!

RBR said...

Gah! Hit submit too soon.

I am really sorry to hear about your knee. Take care of it so that you may run another day.

Kristin @ The Southern Summer said...

I completely agree about Farrah getting the shaft. I'm sure she doesnt really mind it as she seemed to be an easy going soul, but it's definitely not fair to her family.

Sorry you're hurting! I didn't know you worked at REI...love love that store. Too bad we dont have one around here though.

Victoria said...

Ah, knees. How I love mine and hate them simultaneously. However, my PT told me that really, it's the rest of the muscles around the knee/hips that usually cause the problems, not the knees themselves. The knees just end up being the site where the pain shows up.

If you want the name of an amazing PT, let me know.