Friday, October 15, 2010

Bunion be gone!

I finally had my post-surgery office appointment this morning.  To my amazement, the doctor was running on time.  As soon as I sat down in the waiting room, I was called into the examination room.  The nurse shut the door and was immediately ready to remove my dressing.  Yikes! 

Let me back up by saying I slept absolutely horrible last night, anticipating my appointment this morning.  I had no idea what my foot was going to look like - where the incision was, if I had stitches or glue, etc.  I was also a little concerned that I may be over doing it and he would be able to tell by how my foot looked.  This morning I had two cups of coffee before showering to get ready for my appointment.  I inadvertently forgot to eat breakfast.

Well, the nurse took off my dressing and expressed how good my foot looked - no swelling, no bruising.  She said I appear to be the perfect patient, I must have kept it elevated and iced like I was supposed to do.  In reality, I did.  For the first week I was in so much pain, that's all I did.  Day and night, it was elevated with an ice pack on it.  Yes, I'm the "perfect" patient!


The doctor came in and took a look at my foot.  He too, was very happy with how the foot looked.  He took the strip of tape off of the incision and was ready to remove my stitches.  I wasn't quite ready but knew it had to be done.  I held my breath and he looked me in the eyes while he slowly pulled the stitch out.  It didn't feel bad, but it didn't feel good either.  Suddenly, I felt very light-headed.  I said so, and he immediately put my chair into a reclining position.  That only lasted a minute or so and I was so happy when I looked at my foot and saw my bunion was GONE! 

This was before:


My foot looks so different.  Look at that space between my big toe and my second toe now.  And my big toe is straight, instead of turned toward my second toe.  I'm very excited about the final outcome.  My pain has increased a little but I'm sure that won't last long.  In one week, I can wear a sandal.  Until then, I still have to wear the stupid, ugly, old-person-looking velcro surgical shoe.

I got to see my before and after x-rays, which was cool.  He zoomed in on the two titanium screws and the fracture in my toe.  Not so cool!

We talked a little bit about the amount of pain I had experienced right after the surgery (having to go to ER that night) and at first he was acting surprised.  Then, out of nowhere, he says, "Oh, I know why you were in so much pain.  I broke your toe and inserted screws into it!"  Ha ha ha ha ha.  I guess he just has a "strange" sense of humor, huh?

I go back in four weeks for my final appointment.  He mumbled something about not running until TEN weeks post-op.  Before, he said EIGHT.  I forgot to ask about being able to swim in four weeks so I will have to make a phone call in the next week or so.  I am supposed to do very small range of motion exercises three times a day.  Just moving the big toe up and down, stopping before any kind of discomfort.  I'm not sure how I feel about that. 

Yesterday I went to Pilates in the morning and then went back to the gym in the evening and used a bunch of the machines for upper body work while Keith did a "24SET" class.  The doctor said I can continue to do upper body work but no Elliptical.  Yes, I asked.  Well, I figured since I can do that while keeping my foot flat.  Yeah, he gave me that same look. 

Until later.............

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Your foot does look different. Don't overdo it...you want it to heal up properly so you can be back to your regular activity level. Remember the end game!

Char said...

Your foot looks amazing. It hardly looks swollen and those stitches ... if your surgeon ever wants to change jobs I could always use such a tidy seamstress.

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

Wow, and congratulations on the successful recovery! (My bunion looks much like yours, but I'm not ready to go under the knife yet). It looks like smooth sailing from here on.

Cynthia

Ewa said...

Your foot looks ready for a run.
You are a fast healer, that foot looks great!

Ewa said...

What a coincidence. Just stumbled upon this: http://fixingyourfeet.com/blog/2010/10/bunion-big-toe-blisters/ one thing you won't have to worry about now.

Looney said...

The foot certainly does look rested and anxious to get going again!

Pigeon said...

Glad to hear your foot is healing quickly. Time will fly.

Tricia said...

Happy to hear you're healing quickly!

The Green Girl said...

Wow. What a difference. One of my close friends has been struggling with bunions for awhile now and from what she's told me, the doctors keep telling her the only option is surgery.

Southbaygirl said...

it looks so much better!!!! Wow-your foot really does look different! I'm sure it will feel so much better once you are healed!