Tuesday, October 27, 2009

PCTR's SF One Day

That first picture needed NO INTRODUCTION, am I right? I can never tire of that beautiful bridge.
I signed up to work the SF One Day again this year and was assigned the same hours: 6:45 a.m. until noon. I got to check people in, give them their bibs, shirts and goody bags and then set up the table for the one and only aid station on the 1.06 mile course. Rick was there and he was instructed on how to be the parking lot police this year. He finally came back when the race was about to start. He helped out a little bit with the aid station, but mostly he stood around and yacked it up with other friends that came to support runners. However, he was planning on staying until midnight. Perhaps after I left he worked a bit more. ;)

Me and Rick
For those of you that don't know, this run is on a 1.06 mile course at Crissy Field in San Francisco. Runners run (or jog, walk, skip, etc.) this course for 12 or 24 hours straight. Families bring chairs, coolers, tents, and supplies galore for the runners. It's quite the spectacle. Then everybody watches these silly people run around and around and around. Not every runner brings their own crew though, so there's still the need for an aid station with lots of goodies. A very nice runner told Sarah and I that "our" aid station was the best on the course. Oh, we were so touched. LOL

Right as my shift was ending, a girl walked up and asked if I was Jo Lynn. It was Rene from Run Rene Run.... I was so happy she showed up. She said she might but time was running out. She was so nice to talk to. She had swam from Alcatraz earlier and was on a run when she came by. We talked about getting together for a trail run or even a bike ride in the near future. I hope we follow through with it.

Me and Rene
Victoria came by with TWO boxes full of homemade mini cupcakes. They were pumpkin with maple frosting. YUMMY!

Victoria and I being photo bombed by Steve Ansell

Much better minus Steve!

I think next year I want to work the second morning so I can see the 24 hour runners when they finish. The first place runner completed 132 laps for a total of 140.1 miles. Yup, I want to see that!!!
Until later.............

9 comments:

Victoria said...

Um, cuteness of us! Love that picture! It was great to hang out with you on Saturday-- hope I see you soon!

Southbaygirl said...

140.1 miles? wholly crap!!! I'd like to see that as well!! Might be fun to run-bring a tent, friends etc....hmmm might have to think about it!

Now...I want to hear about the pumpkin cupcakes!! I LOVE pumpkin!! And I love cupcakes!!

Stuart said...

Brain's a machine! He was 3rd at the 'Hood and is going to JJ this weekend!

Great job on supporting the PCTR, I am hoping to volunteer at Santa Monica next month and maybe we can met half way an MdO, I would be great to meet up for sure!

Shannon said...

Looks like a great time! I would love to make it to SF one day. :)

chris mcpeake said...

Someday I will make it out there for a run... someday... sigh

René said...

It was great meeting you Jo Lynn! I wish I could've stayed longer and met more folks, but was pretty beat. I'm telling you - the Coastal Trail on our side is pretty sweet!

Dave said...

Really envy you bay area guys and all your local races. Nice job helping out.

Lily on the Road said...

Sounds like fun but mind numbing fun, I just couldn't imagine doing that...wow,

PunkRockRunner said...

So cool that you came out and helped. I stopped by and ran with my friends Sheri & Catra in the afternoon and was blown away by the atmosphere. In fact, the whole scene has motivated me to start running Ultras & I described the event on my blog.

Rene is awesome too. She had just completed the Alcatraz swim that morning.

Great blog!

Take care,

Ron