The other day when I said I swam 25 laps, I guess I should have said 25 "lengths." I didn't know a lap was an "out and back." I have always considered one end to the other as a lap. But, I guess if you think of a track, once around is a lap. So, once around (down the lane and back) the pool lane would be a lap I guess. What do you swimmers out there say? What is the correct way to say it?
Today I swam 72 lengths, or 36 laps, or ONE MILE. I would say 85% of it was freestyle, with the other 15% being breaststroke. When I went on Tuesday, my right leg was moving but not really helping a lot because I felt like I couldn't bend my ankle very well. Today was much better. I was able to kick good with my right foot so it felt easier to move through the water.
About half way through the session, the lifeguard asked me to move from the "medium speed" lane over to the "fast speed" lane because he saw me having to wait too often at either side for people to GO and then I was catching up to them too quickly. Toward the end, I told him this was only my second day in the pool in close to 30 years. It was nice to see he was pretty shocked about this.
I went to pilates after showering and changing at the swim center. Pilates was a little more challenging today. She did different things than she did on Tuesday so that was nice. I could definitely feel my abs heating up. Thumbs up to that! ;)
I had an appointment with Floyd this afternoon. He was happy with the increased range of motion in my ankle. He did some isolated massage, ultrasound and stretching. After that, he set me up with a big rubber band (similar to ones used in pilates) and had me do three different movements with that. Then we did some balancing exercises. I mentioned I have a Wii Fit and he said the balance games on there would be a great idea. I have lots of homework to do. He wants me to strengthen BOTH ankles so I can be safer out on the trails. Just when I thought we were through, the torture came. He hooked four leads onto my ankle and sent electric stimulation to it, along with a boot wrapped around the foot that was circulating ice cold water around my entire foot. This went on for 15 minutes. I can't say I was a big fan of that procedure. We still like Floyd though. I believe he has my best interest in mind.
What's the plan for tomorrow? A swim in the morning and then a hike with Boomer before I go to work in the early afternoon.