Monday, August 23, 2010

In the end, it's all about the friends

When I sit down to do a blog entry, I have to look back at the previous entry to see where I left off on my "MED2010" accountability.  As I looked through it, I see I am wearing tights, a long sleeved top and a headband covering my ears.  I had to laugh because as I sit here today, it is 96 degrees - hottest day sine June for us.


I took Leanne for another trail run last week. 

This time I took her up to Oakland, for SIX miles.  When we were at mile 4.7 I asked her what her longest run had ever been.  She replied, "4.7 miles".  WOW!  This was her longest run ever!  I was very impressed.  There's a lot more hills in Oakland than there is at Garin and she did very well. 

Leanne powering up the last hill with Bella

I think she might be hooked on trail running.  But, with places like this to run, who wouldn't be?!  I am hoping to take her again this week. 

I woke up at 4:20 Saturday morning so my husband could drive me up to Tomalas for a bike ride.  As you may or may not know, I was signed up to do a 100-miler with Stacey and Dynelle.  Before I left I knew from a text message, that I would be down grading to the 100k and I was fine with that.  It was going to be a cold day and we all know how much I despise being cold.  When we got to the check-in, I saw Stacey and Dynelle in the line next to me.  Yay, hugs all around!  She notified me that they had a "development" and needed to have a pow-wow.  Ok.  I got my wrist band and went outside so we could talk. 

Keith went ahead and left for his 8:30 tee time in Petaluma.  Dynelle was feeling a bit sluggish that morning and they had decided to downgrade even more, to the 33-mile ride.  They were more than willing though, to wait for me to finish whatever distance I decided to do.  I had some thinking to do.  The first rest stop was at mile 14.  It was at this point the 100k and 100-mile route split off from the smaller routes.  When they pulled into the rest stop I told them I was going to go forward, by myself, and do the 100k.  I felt good about it, other than now being by myself for a lot of miles. 

Almost immediately the course went from rolling hills to climbs so steep people were doing switchbacks on the road, pulling over to catch their breath, or just stopping and walking up.  I was NOT going to walk up but I did pull over.  You know, to take a picture.  That's it, to take a picture.  The course was beautiful.  All of it was on two-lane back country roads or Highway 1.  Hardly any cars at all.  Lots of cows, as promised.  And lots of fog and headwind too, I might add.

At mile 35, I pulled over to text Keith and also let Stacey and Dynelle know where I was.  When I took off again, I noticed a bunch of riders hanging out in front of a store but it wasn't the 40-mile rest stop.  I was looking at them and wondering why they didn't just wait until the rest stop, five miles away.  I looked forward and saw this HUGE climb.  Aaah, I thought.  They're just taking a little rest before that steep hill there.  Up I went.  I thought I was going to die.  When I got to the top I realized I didn't have any riders in my sight - in front of me, or in back of me.  Hmmm.  Interesting.  Now, do I keep going forward and if I'm wrong I have to come back up this hill I'm about to go down.  Do I turn around and go back down this hill I just climbed, risking the fact that I may be right and have to climb it again.  NEITHER!  I stood right at the top and waited for someone to come up.  And I waited.  And I waited.  A man riding up from the opposite direction stopped on the other side.  I asked him what "street" I was on.  He informed me I was on Highway 1.  Ooopsie!  "Where's Miller Road", I asked.  He came over and showed me on a map where I missed my turn.  It was back where I was looking at those people to the right of me, chilling in front of the store.  I was supposed to turn left there.  He showed me an alternate route to get to a rest stop.  I rode on and approached a couple more big climbs.  I got to a stop sign that I think I was supposed to turn left at and I pulled over to assess the situation.  I wasn't *positive* the directions the guy gave me were correct.  As I sat there, I began to see cyclists coming from the left.  I inched forward, toward the main highway and saw the colored arrows pointing to the right.  I went ahead and got on the route again.  I asked a lady what mile she was on.  She said 46, I was on 40.  I had lost six miles.  We came to the final rest stop which I was very happy to see, considering the last one I saw was at mile 22.  The final seven miles were a slight incline with a hellacious headwind.  There was one final climb, two miles from the finish.

Stacey and Dynelle cheered loudly for me when I pulled into the parking lot.  I am pretty sure I was the ONLY rider that received that kind of welcome.  I grabbed some homemade grub (veggie lasagne, salad, bread) and by that time Keith was arriving at the school after his round of golf.  Perfect timing.  Maybe next year I can tackle a true century (and Lake Tahoe!).  I am still pretty new to this cycling thing anyway. Thanks girls, for sticking around and listening to my stories.  You could have been home by the time I finished. 

I was planning on meeting Lisa from New Mexico on Sunday for a hike prior to going to work.  She was in California, moving her son into a dorm at Cal.  Well, apparently there was no room at the Inn for her Saturday night.  She went to check in and they told her they had her reservation but NO ROOM available.  They found her a room at another hotel but it was going to cost a lot more and it wasn't even close to where she was.  I told her we had a spare bedroom and she was more than welcome to stay with us.  After a little reassurance from both sides, she hopped on BART and took a trip to Fremont.  I picked her up and brought her to my house where she met Boomer and Keith.  We sat up and chatted until we were both so tired we couldn't even concentrate anymore. 

When I woke up in the morning, she was out in the living room chatting with Keith and enjoying her coffee.  Keith made us a great breakfast of french toast, bacon and coffee.  After that, I took her for a 5.5 mile hike at Garin.  We picked up Bella on the way so Boomer would have company too.  It was a lot warmer than I had expected so she ended up borrowing a pair of my shorts.  We had some good views of San Francisco and the bay.  It was a very nice hike and I was thrilled to be able to show her my home away from home. 

I feel SO lucky to have been able to spend all that time with Lisa.  If she had been able to check into her hotel, we probably would have been able to only spend a couple of hours.  That's why I never question things that happen in my life.  I know everything happens for a reason.  Everything worked out perfect in this situation.  It was just awesome to talk with her so much. 

This week should include a couple of runs and then we are going camping with the kids and doggies for a few days.  That will include runs, rides, hikes, fishing, etc.  Yay!!  I'm so excited. 

"MED2010" Accountability:
08/17 - Pilates, 2 mile walk, "24SET" class
08/18 - 6 mile trail run, "CAMP24" class
08/19 - 2.65 mile walk
08/20 - 3 mile walk
08/21 - 55 mile bike ride
08/22 - 5.5 mile hike
08/23 - 2.5 mile walk

Until later.............


Lisa said...

You are so blessed to have so many active friends to hang out with. And such beautiful trails nearby!

It was awesome to spend so much time with you. Thanks again for everything!!

Have a great camping trip :-)

Lisa said...

I haven't had a chance to catch up on my blog yet, but I wanted to add..

From a scale of one to Wonderful, you and Keith are pretty high up there. :-)

Lily on the Road said...

Wow, I'm just catching up with your posts JoLynn. Holy doodle girl, you are busy, busy! How great is it that you and Lisa were able to meet up and share a trail run. That is awesome!

Your story about your bike trip and getting turned around, that is amazing, I would have been freaking out if that had happened to me. Nice that your friends waited for are right, it IS all about the friends!!!

Katie A. said...

Nice job on the ride! Highway 1 is no joke! And, I'm jealous you got to hang with Stacey again!!! You ladies are amazing!

That first pic of you and Leanne made me think you were in Tahoe, can't believe that beauty is so close to us! Have a great time camping!

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

Nice riding!

Kristen said...

Beautiful trails - what a lucky girl to have such wonderful friends!

Great job on your ride AND doing a hill you didn't even have do. You are an awesome cyclist!

Runners Fuel said...

Nice trails. What a great run & ride!

Maureen said...

That is so impressive! Even if you lost your way you still did great, congrats!

Irene said...

You've been busy, but FUN busy!

PunkRockRunner said...

You weeks are always filled with great adventures. If you ever need an extra runner out on those trails just let me know. I’m really starting to enjoy the change of pace.

All the best,


Ewa said...

I am so enjoying reading about your adventures. You are one active lady.

trailmomma said...

I am always just in awe of the beautiful places you get to run and ride. Just gorgeous and you're right, being with friends does make a world of difference. :-)

Anonymous said...

great job on the ride and taking charge out there on your own even if it meant going up a big ole hill! you're a stud on the bike :)

Southbaygirl said...

Fantastic job on your ride!!!! Well done! I know you'll get that 100 miler in very soon!!!